Modbus RTU through RS485

Forum Home Forums Communicating with Devices Modbus Modbus RTU through RS485

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    joel
    Participant

i am using the rapid scada for an Energy Management project. i need to connect to conzerv EM3000 series and HPL socomec emfis energy meters. i know all the address of the data.
    but where should i enter the corresponding addresses in the SCADA. i cant find much help about the Mdbus RTU communication. can anybody please explain step by step what i need to do to establish the communication.

Thank you in advance..

Mikhail

Dear Joel,
    Step by step instructions are described in this article. If some details are not clear, ask about the particulars in the topic.

joel
    Participant

OK, i just don’t understand a few things. what are objects? is it a group of input datas/values that i get from the device i communicate with?

Mikhail

Object is a logical entity. For instance, a building or a house. Yes, it helps grouping of data and doesn’t affect communication with devices.
    A one object is enough for test purposes.

joel
    Participant

im sorry if i am annoying you with these questions. its just that the help file is not quiet helpful for a complete beginner like me. i am quiet sure rapid SCADA would be really helpful once i mastered it.

So from what i understand, objects is the complete package of one project. everything from the same project will be grouped under an object. communication line something that describes how i communicate with my devices.

Devices should be each device in the network to which i communicate. In my case that would be a few energy meters connected using RS485. So the “Address” column in the “Devices” table, what should that contain? Should i fill them with my Device IDs, like 1, 2..??
    if so, what should i fill the “call number” column with?

Thank you

Mikhail

Each energy meter is a device (a one row in the appropriate table of DB).
    Address column should contain a Modbus address (or ID) of a device.
    Call number is filled by IP address for Modbus TCP or left empty for Modbus RTU.

joel
    Participant

So thats all i need to know in the administrator i suppose. It says in the guide that the input and output channels will be automatically created when i hit the create channel feature.

But where do i give the Modbus address of each device? I need to fetch Data in the addresses from 40832 to 40920 a device whose device ID is 12. So should this 40832 be given in the communicator? There is an option to provide the address. is that where i would give it?

Mikhail

Auto create channels feature doesn’t work for Modbus, unfortunately. The reason is that Modbus devices can contain different set of tags. You need to create channels manually. Use existing channels as templates. It is possible to clone them.

12 should be entered in Address field of Devices table using SCADA-Administrator.
    40832 should be entered in the device template using SCADA-Communicator as described in the article.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.